Saturday, September 19, 2009

NPF Discussion : secret recipe behind the mask

teokimhoe



Joined: 03 Mar 2007
Posts: 155
Location: Malaysia
Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:17 am Post subject: secret recipe behind the mask

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Secret recipe behind the mask

I often smiled as I watched the video recording of my kick-boxing exercise which I have uploaded to YouTube a few weeks ago. My trainers and videographer told me the same thing – “You do not look like a Parkinson’s patient at all”. Even my doctor shook his head in disbelief and said, “This is shocking. I can’t imagine a 70-year-old Parkinson’s patient doing such a strenuous exercise such as kickboxing. I am sure that you are the only Parkinson’s patient in Malaysia who is doing the kickboxing exercise.”

As early as 1998, I already had both the motor and non-motor symptoms. Since my diagnosis in 2002, I went through a period of depression, anxiety, denial and anger. Subsequently, I bounced back after discovering a secret recipe for fighting Parkinson’s, which consisted of: knowledge (is power), exercise, medications, nutrition / supplements and prayer. In my quest for knowledge, I browsed various Parkinson’s websites, raining them with questions, questions and questions. I even started the first Parkinson’s blog in Malaysia (www.heroteo.com). I tried to learn everything about Parkinson’s in order to overcome all complications - the Chinese heroes won their battles by understanding their enemies first.
.
Animal experiments showed that exercises may be neuroprotective. Rats which were forced to exercise had a lesser degree of brain damage after they were exposed to poison. In mice which were made to undergo treadmill exercises, there was increased production of dopamine.

Parkinson’s patients are comparable to the car. The medications are needed to help patients to start walking, while fuel or battery is needed to help start the car engine. Exercises are needed to improve the patients’ physical mobility and endurance, while driving helps to recharge the battery. Thus, exercises help our “engines” warm up before leaving home and keep the “cars” going everyday. Even healthy people such as Bruce Lee, the Chinese kungfu master, know that exercises are beneficial.

As such, since 2005, I decided to “get physical”. I am spending 3-4 hours everyday at the California Fitness gym, doing a wide range of “heavy” exercises such as kick-boxing, weight-training and spinning (indoor cycling). Twice a week, I do yoga exercises at home with the guidance of a trainer.

Since this year, my physical condition has drastically improved. I sleep and eat well (I eat to live a healthy and good life). I enjoy driving around the Kuala Lumpur city with my wife everyday and going overseas for holiday. I managed to reduce the daily dose of Parkinson’s medications recently. Sometimes, I wonder whether I am just a “normal person” behind the mask.





Am I a Parkinson’s patient? – Try taking my “killer” punch and you’d wonder whether I really have Parkinson’s.


I know that it is technically difficult to prove that exercise has neuroprotective effect in Parkinson’s patients. Despite this, I believe that exercise has slowed down my disease progression. I hope that my video recording will bring hope and happiness to all Parkinson’s patients in this world, by reminding them that they can still live a physically active life.

Mr. Hero Teo, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
10th July 2009.
_________________
to help the PD patients aware the diseases and encourage to set up support groups to educate the patients and their immediate families

Back to top


Stargazer



Joined: 26 Dec 2007
Posts: 276
Location: Eastern Washington
Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:31 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Hero Teo I have followed your posts since around 2,007 or shortly there after. I can fully agree from reading your posts that you have come along way from day one. You have every right to be proud of your accomplishments.

I pray that the newly dx and younger people will heed your advice, being an older person my limitations to a great deal of excercise is limited but none the less even I can notice the difference in how I feel a good day w/exercise versus one with out. 100% on the knowledge part the more I read the more I get inspired and grow more content.

Keep it up Teo you have done well and am sure your wife and that little one are proud of you also.
Deeann

Back to top

No comments: