Monday, June 23, 2008

Is PD a "no hope" illness ?

Anonymous

Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:32 am Post subject: Is PD a' no hope' illness?

Despite vast improvement in PD treatment there are many reasons that some patients are still plain ignorance.

They consider PD to be "no hope" illness and whither away slowly. they lack of fighting spirit (born fighter) as they cannot accept the fact they cannot live a normal life as other healthy people. They feel embarrassed and isolate themselves from the community as some people in the society regards PD as being" crippled".


TEOKIMHOE

Back to top


Dr. Okun



Joined: 19 Jan 2007
Posts: 251
Location: University of Florida
Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:11 am Post subject:



Thanks for the comment.
_________________
Michael S. Okun, M.D.



Anonymous

Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:28 pm Post subject:



I had a bad reaction to artane which handicapped me greatly last October, though I've recovered for the most now. Before the reaction I had mild shaking that you probably wouldn't notice unless standing behind me in a line, but I was very self-conscious about it. After the reaction it took me many months to be able to go outside and I needed a walker and barely had use of my left hand. However, I was no longer as self-conscious - not that I don't get anxious in public - but I was happy to be able to get around and proud of the fact that I wasn't letting it hold me back. I used public transit etc while shaking quite a bit.

Funny how things change.... :)

Jim

Back to top


Dr. Fernandez

Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 90

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:10 pm Post subject:


Not at all, Jim! I don't think PD is a "no hope" illness. And I am not saying this because I carry the obligation of keeping all of your optimistic, but because I trully believe so.

There are however, some less lucky people. You happen to be one of them. The good news is that if your set back is due to medication side effect, or due to less optimal use of medications available, this is usually correctible ones it is recognized.

Artane is a hit or miss...it is a good drug for tremor, but not for the other features of PD. The reason why I don't like it too much is because it can cause mental dullness, confusion, memory loss, blurred vision, constipations, urinary problems, etc. And, there are other better tolerated drugs that can help tremor also.

Good luck!
_________________
Hubert H. Fernandez
Anonymous


Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:40 pm Post subject:

Thanks for the response Dr. Fernandez, but I was saying that I don't believe PD is "hopeless", but that attitude makes the crucial difference. Before I had the bad reaction I was self-conscious about my minimal Parkinson's symptoms, however, after the artane reaction I became much less self-conscious. As you know, how one reacts to PD (or anything for that matter) is of vital importance.

Jim

Back to top


Dr. Fernandez
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 90

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:35 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree!

The good news is that there are lots of other drugs and we discover more and more strategies every day....so don't lose hope!

Yours,
_________________
Hubert H. Fernandez

Anonymous
Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:40 pm Post subject:


Thanks for the response Dr. Fernandez, but I was saying that I don't believe PD is "hopeless", but that attitude makes the crucial difference. Before I had the bad reaction I was self-conscious about my minimal Parkinson's symptoms, however, after the artane reaction I became much less self-conscious. As you know, how one reacts to PD (or anything for that matter) is of vital importance.

Jim

Back to top


Dr. Fernandez



Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 90

Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:35 pm Post subject:



I agree!

The good news is that there are lots of other drugs and we discover more and more strategies every day....so don't lose hope!

Yours,
_________________
Hubert H. Fernandez

No comments: