Monday, December 3, 2007

Testimonal of PD

It was about 9 years ago that my tremor began, initially as essential tremor that involved primarily my right hand. Gradually, a second more distinctive tremor appeared; it was a "pill rolling" resting tremor that involved my right hand and both hands showed essential tremor. I "hung up my spurs" from flight nursing in January 20001; the constant tremors that were too hard to explain after being overcome by severe depression as well. The tremor was too difficult to explain. We moved from Rockford,Illinois to Colorado Springs Colorado. I was still very functional,and not taking Sinemet yet. I was a stay home mom, and went back to school to finish my BSN. I went on Sinemet at about 2003 to control my Parkinsonian tremor, my neurologist at the time told me she didn't think I had PD. In 2005,my neurologist committed suicide. I was so upset I did not see a neurologist until June 2006,when I met my present doctor. When I met him,he tried to cut back my Sinemet from 6 tabs to none,as he could only find a diminished blink. When I cut back to my 3rd Sinemet, I ended up in the emergency department with uncontrollable tremors, I walked with a reasonable gait except for when I got tired I would drag my right leg. Now I am regulated on Mirapex,Stalevo and Clonipin and Seligiline(Em-Sam). My biggest problems now are making sure I keep a positive attitude and exercise daily. My symptoms are much better and more med responsive with daily exercise It is discouraging to have the dyskinesias from Sinemet. Right now I am waiting to complete my evaluation for deep brain stimulation 9/3/2007 I have noticed a major worsening of dyskinesia that is related to my cycle. I am experimenting(with Dr permission) using less Stalevo and Mirapex after the period then a gradual buildup. Seems to be working! Still waiting for DBS eval

No comments: