Sunday, December 23, 2007

Nutrients, Parkinson's and I

However I still believe when you exercise more you need more nutrients to protect yourself from oxidative stress whether you are athletics or not.Because of increasing energy production in the cell (from some medicine, exercise or stress, etc ) will increase free radicals production as well, this is the natural biological process in the body.But regular exercising will increase endogenous antioxidant enzyme that enhance antioxidant mechanism in the overall. The aging process, antioxidant level and oxidative stress are dynamic process which we have to monitor every 6 months or every year at least i.e blood test on your nutrient level.I understand most PD patients have deficiencies or decreasing of antioxidants, frolic acid and Vitamin B 12 or 6 and these deficiencies occur in old adult too. To improve your nutrient level in natural and safe way mean you have more fruits, vegetables and fish ( source of Co enzyme Q 10.)Kindly advise.

I would like to know if you all request blood tests and urine tests when you go to the doctor or does he tell you it's time? My family doctor seemed to question my need for frequent blood work and I was really thinking more in the every three month field for blood and every 6 weeks for urine. I really think if I didn't mention it he wouldn't bring it up,,,,,,,POKIE
Mark this post as helpful

My neuro has never done a blood test, or any other diagnostics, other than visually observing my symptoms, and what I tell him. (I tell him I can't take a blood test until I've had time to study for it). I see him quarterly, which is a good timeframe. My neuro medicates me as little as possible to achieve results. For me, "less is more", and I am actually better now than a year ago, many of my symptoms having either lessened or disappeared completely, especially the memory , motivation, and cognitive issues, in large part due to the info about nutrients and supplements I found through this forum. Everyone who sees me now says I am "my old self" again, the 'GO-TO" person for just about anything my friends or family or co-workers need. Of course my way is not for everyone, we all have different health issues to deal with, along with well-meaning family and friends who often don't understand, and say the wrong things. I am one of those who is a pro-active "self-healer" in both body and mind, only seeing docs for real emergencies, which is usually once every two years, not for every little pain that comes along, and ignoring the doubters and naysayers with their negative or pessimistic comments . Everyone told me it's "too hard" to lose weight. I found a doc who specializes in weight loss, and so far by following his program of appetite supression meds, diet, and exercise, I have lost 28 pounds (as weighed at the clinic) in one month, my waist going from 42 inches to 38 inches. I have 23 pounds to go to get back to my pre-pd weight. I HAVE TO GO NOW, WILL BE INSTALLING NEW LIGHT FIXTURES, SANDING AND REFINISHING AN OLD CHINA CABINET, AND RUNNING A NEW TV CABLE LINE AT MY IN-LAWS HOUSE. GOOD LUCK, AND DON'T LET THE NAYSAYERS DRAG YOU ticky


I am so proud of you but be careful. In 96 I was on the diet drug of the time. I can't recall the name but my best friend is a RN and I had lost almost 50 lbs ask me to quit taking it. Something about it scared her. I stopped and 14 days later had a grand mal seizure. She swears the diet meds played a part, I don't think so.......Just be careful, if you start getting flu like symtoms don't just right it of to the flu get to a doctor even if it's not in your once every two year thing..........love ya ...

No comments: