Thursday, November 29, 2007

words by reader

Hi Teokimhoe,

I enjoyed stumbling across your blog.

I was my mother’s caregiver, and she suffered with Parkinson’s for close to 15 years, so much of this, I know from a caregiver’s perspective.

What you describe about depression seems right on, and I can’t help but think it’s neurologically based. My mother was a very optimistic, if not a downright self-centered person, so let’s just say she was overall pleased with life.
The Parkinson’s mask (the face’s inability to show expression) was a reflection of what PD does, how relentless and exhausting it is. I also noticed her gains and plateaus, as well as her dips. She was a fighter. Of course, my mother was older, and that has to be factored in since the elderly have their own depression issues to face.
I tried to cheer her up, keep her busy, focus ont he positive, and my sarcasm and banter helped diffuse difficult moments, but there were times when I simply needed to be quiet and hold her hand.
I wrote every day during the last three years of her life–she passed away at 92. I wrote our battles with the disease–and each other (she also developed ementia/Alzheimer’s in the end) and what caregiving did to our lives, our relationship and our perspecives.
I wish you well. ~Carol D. O’Dellauthor of MOTHERING MOTHERavailable on Amazon and in most bookstoreswww.mothering-mother.com

No comments: