Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Shortness of breath ?

I have had PD for the last 5 years. In the last few months I have had shortness of breath. I have seen my family doctor and have been cleared of heart and lung problems. It also seems that my voice volume has decreased. Do you have any suggestions about this combination of symptoms?
A
Shortness of breath is a condition that you very appropriately had evaluated by your physician. I suggest you continue to be in touch with your doctor so that he/she can monitor that situation.
It is common for individuals with PD to notice reduced volume and decreased breath support for speech. Many individuals complain that they can’t talk as loudly as they used to or they feel they are running out of breath while they are talking. Fortunately, behavioral speech therapy can address these changes in communication function. The LSVT® targets increased vocal fold adduction, which can have an impact on loudness and the amount of air available for speaking.

No comments: