Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Parkinson with speech and voice

I have recently developed difficulty with voice and speech and have to repeat a lot. Is there any treatment for this?
A
Fortunately, there is an effective treatment that can help improve voice and speech by training increased loudness. The LSVT® has been documented to increase loudness and improve intelligibility in individuals with PD. If you would like to learn more about speech and voice disorders in PD or the LSVT®, please contact the LSVT Foundation at 888-606-5788 or email www.lsvt.org for information. The LSVT foundation maintains a list of LSVT® certified speech clinicians in your area.
Q
My wife is always asking me to repeat myself. She says I don’t talk loud enough and I think she is losing her hearing. I feel like I’m speaking with extra effort already. What can we do?
A
One of the symptoms that accompanies changes in voice and speech in PD is that the person with PD has difficulty monitoring how loud they are speaking. This is not the result of a change in hearing, rather it is a result of changes in the sensory system where a softer voice sounds louder to the person with PD than it does to the listener. Often the person with PD will state that it takes much more effort to speak at a level sufficient for others to understand them. The LSVT® includes sensory training as a component of the therapy. Only clinicians certified in LSVT® can administer the therapy. To locate a clinician in your area contact the LSVT Foundation at 888-606-5788 or go the website at www.lsvt.org.

No comments: