Saturday, September 1, 2007

A sad story of Parkinson's family

Dear uncle,
i heard you are going to seek a second opinion from another
doctor. Im really thankful for the time and effort that u spend on my dad. I
shall now give ya a brief summary of my dad's illness.

Basically:

1) In accordance to his doctor and you, he indeed suffers from PD. He has
difficulty carring out his daily activity like walking short distances or
even remain seated for a short period of time. He was given MADOPOR( 250 mg
0.5 a tablet, 3 times a day) and LEXOTAN( 1.5 mg 0.5 a tablet, 3 times a
day) from the doctor.

I believe my dad does suffer from PD but i am not very convinced by your
claim that he has reached the later stages of PD. Yes, i agree that PD runs
in a family as it is hereditary. However, i do not believe that my dad's
condition is like what u claim- the later stages.

Reasons to support my humble opinion:
Firstly, my dad indeed has got limitations to his movements. However, on
certain occations, he has the ability to get up from the bed or even walk
short distances without any help from anyone. This shows that my dad's
condition is not as severe as you have claim (ie only have got 6 mths to
live?!)
Moreover, my dad is able to carry out most of the task that his physical
trainer asked him to do. For example, he is able to walk to the NTUC outside
our house with the trainer, or even have luch with his family members. He
often complain tightness of his stomach when seated down for too long.

In my opinion, I conclude that my dad is indeed surrfering from PD. Its in
fact rather common that many patients develope symptoms before the age of
50, especially if PD runs in the particular family. However, my dad's
condition is not as bad as what many may think. My dad definitely lacks
CONFIDENCE. He always has this fear that he will fall to his death. Its due
to such unnecessary fear that he has which causes him to lose canfidence in
himself, thus losing to PD too! We, as his family members have put in
tremendous effort for him to build up his confidence, but our efforts were
in vain. Should he not be able to get over his own fear, how can one help
him?

My dad too may be suffering from IBS. This problem also comes with age. As a
person age, their muscles will definitely weakens while some may just lose
their functions. However, this issue is no long posing to much of trouble to
him as we moninter his diet closely, with the help of his physical trainer
of cos. He consumes other suppliment such as Methycobal( a form of vitamin)
and S- Factor. Occasionnally, he still suffers but constipation but is not
as frequent compared to the past.In addition, my dad's back problem may have
also affected his bowls movement.

My dad too show symptoms of depression. He is always very negative and also
says that he will die anytime. As we are his family members, we shower him
with much love and concern as we know that the love from his family members
means a lot to him when he is suffering from depression. However, there are
many times whereby he completely shut off our care and concern for him. For
example, when we wan to dine out on a particular day, he would always just
want to stay at home and not leave home no matter how we persuade him.

Many of his relatives drop nasty comments saying that ' we neglect him',
'only wans money from him' , 'wan him to die' and i believe U heard much
more. Are such comments necessary? I do not think so. Should we not care for
him, would we even try to cheer him up everyday? Would my mum always pray
for his health without fail every day? Would his children buy his fav food
(expensive cake) for him? Trust me, the list could really go on and on. If
we are like what THOES SINNERS claims, we could have just jolly well throw
all responsiblity to the trainer and maid and not give a DAMN to anything.
Did we? Definitely not.

Im really thankful that you care so much for my dad, i am also saying thank
you on his behalf. I may have wasted much of your precious time, however, I
really need to clarify things and not let my poor mother being labled as a
lousy wife when she has done so many 'behind the scene' stuff for my dad. I
would be anticipating the opinion of another doct regarding my dad's
condition. Hope to hear from you soon!

Regards
Hon Wei

No comments: